Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!


Even though we are far from home, we happen to live right where my great grandparents, and great-great grandparents on my Hanks side are buried. After we left, I realized how I had no idea WHY they were buried there, so I called my grandma and here is the scoop:
My great-great grandpa, the first Sidney Alva Hanks (His dad was Ephraim K. Hanks, who is famous for helping save the Martin handcart company) was a forest ranger in the Teton mountains in Idaho when he got real sick and couldn't get better. His oldest son lived in California and told him to come here and recuperate in the weather. He did just that and loved it so much he never went back to Idaho. He was the first patriarch in the Pasadena Stake.
His son, Sidney Alva Hanks Jr, was married when he dad came to California, but during the depression came to California also and took over his dad's job as the custodian at Monrovia Middle School and never went back to Idaho either. My grandpa actually lived here for 7 years (from when he was 7 until he was 14) when his mom decided she wanted to be in Idaho and my great-grandparents got divorced and she took my grandpa back to Idaho. I never knew my grandpa had lived here!

Adam and I realized that we take our genealogy for granted. Since the work is already done for us, we don't know a lot about it, which is the whole point in it! It was good to learn about my ancestors. I am happy to be right back where my roots came from :) I guess when us Hanks's come to Southern California, we never want to leave!

8 comments:

The Reese's said...

That's a good story. I didn't know any of that either. Your kids look great, I tried calling you today, Denver wanted to web cam so let's try tomorrow.

Julie said...

I agree with Tangi. Thats a cool story. It is amazing how much happened in "the past'. better take advatage of your grandparents and their stories while they are still around.

Sally said...

We are lucky enough to be in driving range of the family in Utah. It only takes about 5 1/2 hours. It's still a long trip but it is SO much better now that Annabelle likes to watch DVDs in the car!

kate said...

It's so fun to hear story after story from Grandparents, isn't it? I totally take mine for granted, I need to go and find out where my 'greats' are even buried!

Christensen Family said...

That's neat to learn new stuff about family members. We do need to learn more about our ancestors. Where in the Teton area did your family live? My Grandma lived in Bates, ID near Driggs. Her side of the family settled Bates (their last name was Bates).

Joell said...

How fun I love Memorial day just to remember things like this story!

Brian Hanks said...

I copied and pasted this post and put it in my journal so I could remember it. Thanks for sharing what you learned!

Teriann said...

I didn't know that story either. Thanks for doing the research for us. BTW - I love Courtney's comment about turning on the window :)