Adam and I were sitting on the couch last night, watching our recorded episode of Survivor when we experienced our first earthquake. Walls shaking, pictures bouncing. Got our heart beats going. We looked it up and found this:
A minor earthquake occurred at 9:28:49 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, March 26, 2008.
The magnitude 3.1 event occurred 3 km (2 miles) NE of Newport Beach, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 8 km ( 5 miles).
Ok, it was only a 3.1. I can't imagine anything bigger. We may be moving quicker than we thought, it was pretty scary! Adam went downstairs and saw a guy and he asked him if he felt the earthquake, and the guy waslike, "Oh was that an earthquake, I thought someone was just dancing upstairs." So apparently us non-Californian's were the only ones scared. What will we do when we have the Big One? Probably just cry :)
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Our First Earthquake
Posted by california smiths at 9:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












9 comments:
That is really scary. My mom's favorite saying is that California is going to fall into the ocean and Vegas is going to completely be burned by fire. I guess you and I are both out of luck! :)
These earthquakes lately really are becoming more and more common. I swear it's a sign of the last days. I am glad it wasn't too major for you. My husband's grandma lives in Newport Beach, so this is news to us. We didn't even know there was an earthquake. Where do you live exactly? I am glad Em started a blog. It made it so I found you and Tangi. You have a darling family!
i can't believe that! why can't anything exciting happen while we are visiting? j/k that's scary i definately think you guys should head back to happy valley :)
We had a small aftershock here one morning and it was funny because I was laying in bed half awake and it felt as if someone was just moving the bed so I looked to see if Ellie was awake! She wasn't there so I just firgured it was an earthquake. It was really weird though! It was an aftershock from some earthquake an earthquake in Nevada about a 6.something. Anyway my whole family is going to San Diego in June maybe we could get together and hang out!
Scary!! I would move back too!
As a Californian, I would take earthquakes over hurricanes or tornadoes and horrible blizzards any day :) I guess I haven't ever been in a big one, just where it shook for a few seconds and someone says 'did anyone else feel that?' and then it's over. Cute Easter pictures! Maybe the earthquakes will push you to come back to BYU :)
Talking to people in our ward, I realize what babies Adam and I were about it. It really was just a few seconds, but when you have never felt one before it scared us!! I guess as a Utahn I prefer the blizzards! At least I know how to handle them :)
sorry I lost you I'm not sure it happened but now your back thanks!
I can't imagine going through an earthquake especially with little ones and keeping them safe. My husband is from Southern California and he knows what the big earthquakes feel like. I'm glad we haven't had any major ones. You have a cute family. I got your blog from Joell's. This is such a cute and easy way to keep track and up to date on everyone. Send me your email address to hollichristensen@gmail.com
Post a Comment