Monday, October 27, 2008

One week to go....

In one week California will vote on Proposition 8 on whether to allow gays to marry or not. We are not anti-gay, just pro traditional marriage. We have been walking door-to-door for months, and the past two weeks have been holding signs in intersections. We had about 125 people this weekend. We had babies in strollers, the elderly in wheel chairs and everything in between. We were talking about whether proposition 8 is more important or the presidential election and a lady in my ward said this, "Look at it is this way. The church and the prophet have never told us who to vote on for president but they have taken an aggressive stand on this issue". They have asked elder's quorum to run security of the churches and the stake president has asked to cancel all meetings except regular church so members can focus completely on prop 8....(I am still waiting to hear from the bishop if Trunk or Treat is still on for tomorrow....)

I had forgot my camera, but my friends (the Marquette) had theirs, so the photos are from them.... so thanks for the great photo work!




8 comments:

The Reese's said...

i'm impressed that you are so involved! i love grant holding the sign, such a great family activity :)

Chris and Jessey said...

Keep up the great work!

Julie said...

Tawni- I have felt so out of the loop lately. My computers hate me. Hopefully at least one of them will be fixed this weekend so I can keep up with you cute family better. I am amazed at how busy you must be. Way to stay involved. I'll check in again asap

Unknown said...

Wow - my little girl holding a sign on a busy road :) Great job, looks like fun.

April Greener said...

Tawni,

Thank you for being so involved in this important subject.

I have been reading about all of the havoc that will happen to adoption if prop 8 does not pass. I read that adoptions through LDS family services will not be allowed if it does not pass.

Because this adoption agency only allows adoptions between heterosexual couples, if homosexual marriages are legalized, LDS family services would be "discriminating" by not allowing any and all couples to go through adoption through their service. They could be sued and basically they could not function anymore.

I hope what I have written makes sense, it is difficult to write out..Have you heard of this also? I am an adoption advocate and am so worried about this!

california smiths said...

It is true April. There is also problems that could arise with temples, basically the law forcing the temple to allow same sex marriage-which we know would never happen, so either the temples close or the church loses its tax-except status and is sued. At least that is the hear-say.....

Brian Hanks said...

Wow, that IS a big deal there. I'm glad everyone is taking it seriously. What's the prediction right now in the polls?

The Downs Family said...

Way to go!