Friday, November 7, 2008

We won, but.....

So there was a great feeling of happiness when we found out that Prop 8 had passed. Unfortunatly it is not over. The church is taking a lot of heat for its involvement in the proposition. Yesterday they protested the LA temple and had elders from our ward go do security at the Newport Beach Temple.(http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081107/D94A2EA80.html) The following video shows what happened at the LA temple. It breaks my heart to see the church targeted. There are only 1 million members of the church in this state at over 4 million voted yes on 8. This fight is not over. Already many law suits have been filed and talking with some women at a baby shower last night, we just wonder if we are delaying the inevitable....

13 comments:

Bingham Family said...

That is so scary! I can't believe people can be so mean. I was talking to Dusty about that last night, there is no way the church could have made the differance! Hang in there!

Hootie & Chrissi said...

That is sad & scary. I've had the chance to talk to many CA residents this week, who are so glad it passed. Many of them voted yes in concern for their own beliefs and what their kids would be taught, but also what their churches had to say about it.(None of them were LDS.)
It's the problem that they (gays) want to impose their way of life on everyone else. CA is very liberal, and YES on 8 still passed. Had it been a nationwide vote, I feel it would have passed much more overwhelmingly. (Or I hope it would.)
Good luck out there. Unfortunately, I feel many of the battles we'll face in this country have just begun. But I'll try to stay optimistic. I'll be thinking of and praying for all my California friends.

Jon and Ashley said...

Another sign of the times right? That the church will be persecuted for its beliefs. They must have felt incredibly strongly about it to have you californian mormons out there going door to door. You know you did what is right. And it wasn't just our church. I know the Roman catholics felt exactly the same. They just needed a good target to pick on, and the Vatican isn't very close. :)

The Reese's said...

that makes you sick to watch! i wish we didn't have to be the bad guys for every issue going on in the world. good luck going to church and the temple now :)

Sally said...

I pray that your family and all the others who have done their part to help get Prop 8 passed will be blessed. It definitely is a sign of the time but still sad to see.

April Greener said...

I heard on the radio that most of the people who voted yes on Prop 8 are NOT LDS. Signs of the times, I think!

Joell said...

yeah it just makes me sick what is this world coming to!

Brittney N said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Briawna said...

Church members did provide 70% of the funds used to pass Prop 8. I understand why people are upset but the Church isn't about to change because alternate lifestyles have become acceptable to our society. Actually, the biggest group to sway votes was the African-American population. They all came out to vote for Obama but they are very conservative in their beliefs (super strong Christians against homosexuality completely). I love that it was called the "Obama Effect". The protests are just another witness to me that we are on the right side and that the church is true. If it wasn't true, everyone would leave us alone.

Unfortunately, the day will come when the law will pass to allow anyone the right to marriage. It's been foretold and it will happen. It is frustrating when the courts ignore the people and do what they want, which is probably what will happen. It just makes me sad that when a liberal wins (Obama), the other side concedes graciously. When the conservative side wins, we become the victims of hateful acts and protests.

The Birds said...

We may be, but it's something worth fighting for! I have been doing A LOT of thinking about this and it has caused a few sleepless nights for me. Not just this issue, but what it means the world is really coming to. However, there is A LOT of comfort in knowing that this is The Lord's Church and HE will WIN in the end - regardless of what goes on in between! Keep the faith!
~Chandi

Chantalle said...

Mormon voters were less than 5% of the yes vote. If one estimates that 250,000 LDS are registered voters (the rest being children), then LDS voters made up 4.6% of the Yes vote and 2.4% of the total Proposition 8 vote. That was a quote I found, just more numbers on how many people voted. Good luck out there! I also have an email from one of the men who helped protect the LA temple, and his experience was moving and amazing. He said it is a sad thing, but that the spirit was strong and it was a powerful experience. We were glad to at least send in our absentee ballot and knock on doors in August, but I can't imagine being there now!

Lisa Summers & Fam said...

We were very relieved when Prop 8 passed. We hope all will turn out well. I wuld hate to go to the temple and see a crowd around it.

Christensen Family said...

I am glad that it passed too. I can't believe all of this that has been going on since. It is so sad.